Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Frustration Will Make You Do Interesting Things: Hair Edition


Hello Everyone! You may be wondering about the title of this blog post. Ha Ha! Well I have some things coming up in life and I will do a series of Frustration Will Make You Do Interesting Things posts. I think that the title is fitting.

 

If you didn't know, I am in the process of transitioning to natural hair. With me working out all of the time, swimming all of the time, loving curly hair, and the fact that I normally have my hair up in a sew-in, braids of some sort or a wig, it really doesn't make sense to get relaxers anymore. Besides, I had no idea that my hair actually curls up instead of being straight up kinky! Ha! I have not had a relaxer since March 2012.

So back to the historic frustrating moment. I really wanted to have something done to my head and after watching many YouTube videos, I decided to get Crochet Braids. Not the old school Crochet braids with the little stringy already braided braids that I would wear in high school. LOL! I normally have someone that braid my hair and does my sew-ins here in NC. But for some reason, I could not get in touch with her. **LeSigh** Then I went to a local braid shop and they said they would charge me $140 to do the Crochet braids! Ummm... Heck no ma'am! I am very low on funds. SO... I decided to try the Crochet braids myself. But the frustrating thing is... I cannot cornrow my own hair! (Oh how I wished I was home in AL. I knew my mommy would hook me up.) So I asked the ladies about how much it would be to get my hair cornrowed. She said $40!!!!!!!!! **faint**

 

I was so desperate and frustrated that I went on Craigslist to find someone to braid my hair. Bad idea. I talked to the girl and she said that she was coming and all. She never showed up. :-( At this point I was so mad and frustrated that I started flat twisting my hair. Before I knew it, I actually started to feel that the twists were sturdy and that maybe, just maybe I could do the UN speakable... DO MY OWN CROCHET BRAIDS!!!

 

 

It took me a while to get the hang of putting the needle in and catching the hair, but after many crazy hair pulling moments and 3 days later (worked on my hair about 2-3 hours each day), I was done with what is my first time doing any kind of hair style like this.

 

 

Enough talking! On to the pictures. :-D






 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So the moral to the story is that being frustrated with something just might lead you to so something pretty cool. Something that you had no idea that you could do.
 
 
 
 
The Girly Engineer 

2 comments:

  1. Go head with your bad self girly....I rocked my crochets while pregnant and they rocked!!! I love love love your rendition though and I can't wait to see your natural curl pattern!!!! Love you Key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Key! I love them too! I can't wait to try them again in the future!

      Delete