Saturday, July 28, 2012

DIY Project done!!! Frame Jewerly Holder

Good Saturday Everyone!! I finally got a chance to finish my first DIY project in the new house. I made a Picture Frame Jewelry Holder. It was a pretty easy project and I think that anyone could do it. And guess what!? I have pictures and steps to show. :-D

Things that you will need:
Picture Frame
Flannel Material or Flat Cotton Stuffing (Optional)
Material/Fabric of your choice
Mesh netting (the netting is the netting on the screen doors or you windows. You can get this at Wal-Mart, Lowes, or Home Depot)
Staple Gun
Scissors
Spray Paint (Optional)
Pins (Optional, but this is used with the flannel material for your hoops or even bracelets)
Small Hooks (Optional)
Drill with drill bits (Optional if you are using small hooks)



The Girly Engineer's Picture Frame Jewelry Holder

Step 1:
I had an old frame from the wedding and I was tired of looking at it just lying around and I also had a lot of jewelry just lying around driving my husband crazy. After much stalking of Pinterest, I found many inspirations for my jewelry storage and I this option caught my eye. I wanted the frame to be purple because it is my favorite color in the world :-)
I took the backing out of the frame and spray painted the frame with indoor/outdoor paint. I let it dry for about an hour.

The Orginal Frame




The spray paint I used




The Frame Painted

 
Step 2:
After the frame dried, I started drilling holes in the frame (which is metal) for my hooks. Try not to drill too deep. The hooks will not stay in. If you do, you can just fill the hole with glue or putty and touch up on the paint.
After drilling in your holes, screw in your hooks. This step is optional. I needed extra hooks, so this worked for me.



The Frame with hooks in it.




Step 3:
Now it is time to finish the backing of the frame that will eventually hold your jewelry. Take the flannel and cut it out where there is about 1-2 inch overlay of the fabric. I used flannel under my design fabric to make sure I had something to stick my pins in for my hoop earrings.


The Flannel material over the backing

Step 4:
You may have to cut your design fabric but I got mine precut at Wal-Mart. Lay the fabric over the flannel if you are using it. If not, skip Step 3 and just use this step.




The fabric over the flannel




Step 5:
Grab your staple gun and staple your fabric and flannel down to the back of the board from the frame.

The fabric stapled down


Step 6:
Cut your netting to measure about the same as the material. Staple it to the back. Make sure you pull the flannel, fabric, and netting tightly when stapling so it can be as flat as possible at the front of the frame. You can cut off any excess material at the back.



The board with material and netting





Step 7:
Put the backing back into the picture frame. You can add pins for odd earrings that will not hook into the netting.  The hooks can be used for necklaces, hoop earrings, bracelets or rings. So can the pins.





Step 8:
Hang up your frame and enjoy! I will be putting up mines soon and will be designing my DIY Beauty Vanity around it. I will have pictures and steps for that as well. Until next time, be blessed!



The Girly Engineer

No comments:

Post a Comment