Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Meal Prepping: FAQs!

 
Hello Everyone!
 
I have decided to do a post on how I meal prep. I am no expert. I am just a researcher that happens to be a Southern Girl that likes to cook! LOL! I will be answering FAQ's on what meats I use, what sides and more. I have used YouTube, Google and a Friend to get this information.
I currently eat a Semi-Paleo Diet. Meaning, I still drink my Shakeology, eat my honey roasted peanuts, and peanut butter (does are my snacks during the day and I refuse to give them up! LOL!), I also have "Cheat Day(s)" on the weekend.


FAQ's :
 
1. What is the Paleo Diet?
In short, it is eating as the cave people would. In other words, foods that is in their most natural form as meats, seafood, fruits, veggies and nuts. This means no dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream and etc.?) No processed foods (Sorry no McDonald's and 100 calorie packs), no sugar or artificial flavoring, no Legumes (beans and peas) and no starch (Sweet potatoes has been said to be okay). Maybe one day I can fully convert to this! For the first week, I had no cheat days and lost 7lbs! So if you are at weight-loss hiatus or want to jump start your weight loss, you may what to try this. You can Google for more info but here are a few helpful websites if you are interested (Shout out to my girl Kenna for the links!):


 

(that website has a lot of information, shopping lists, lists of Paleo friendly food, definition of Paleo, etc)

lots of good recipes and stuff to help you)

(more great recipes here)

(for the traveling Paleo eater)

(more recipes)

http://www.unrefinedkitchen.com/
(Paleo, Primal, gluten free recipes here)
 
 

2. What meats can you use for meal prepping?
You can really any meat that you desire. I found that most (grilled or baked) meats will do well if frozen for a week or two (maybe even longer). Think of it as a microwave dinner. I use Boneless Chicken Breast, Pork Tenderloins, Salmon, Steak (Whatever is on sale) and Ground Turkey.



Grilled Chicken Breast and Pork Tenderloin
 
3. How do you cook your meats?
My husband will sometimes grill my meats. If not, I will bake them or use the George Foreman grill.

4. How much meat do I prep?
Normally enough to make lunches and dinners for 6 days. I will do 1 serving size normally of a meat per container.

5. Do you freeze your meals?
I sure do. Even if I will eat it the next day. It works for me because I am normally on the go and by the time it is time to eat, it may be unfrozen. I pop it in the microwave and it is good to go.

6. What sides do you make?
I make Mashed Sweet Potatoes made with Raw Honey, Cinnamon and Nutmeg, Squash and Zucchini, Sautéed Kale, Steam Cabbage, and broccoli. Most veggies will be okay frozen. The only one I would be concerned with is Asparagus because they tend to get soggy. I also make Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce and the Ground Turkey. I will sometimes use the Ground Turkey to make stuffed bell peppers. (I will do a separate post on how I make my Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Spaghetti Squash).


Sweet Potatoes Cooked in the Microwave

Spaghetti Squash cooked in the Microwave
 

Kale, Squash and Zucchini

Yellow Squash, Zucchini and Green Onions

7. Where do you get your storage containers?
I got mines from Wal-Mart. You can get them from most stores. You may want to try to get BPA free storage containers.

8. Do you cook all of your food in one day?
I do. It normally takes me 2-4 hours depending on what all I have to make. You could do some one day and some the next. I like to have everything done and to put it right in the freezer.
 
9. Do you prep your fruits for smoothies/shakes?
Sometimes. I just cut up the fruits and freeze them on a tray for a few hours and put them in Ziploc bags.


Banana and Pears
 
Bananas
 
Pears
 
 
 

10. What are Green Pops and how do you make them?
Green Pops are an ideal that I got off of YouTube. It is just greens of your choice blended with water and frozen in ice trays. I used Kale, Spinach, Cucumbers, and Celery in my last mix and added 1-2 cups of water and blended in my Ninja until it turns into liquid. I then pour it into the ice trays and let freeze overnight. When they are done, I put them in one big Ziploc Bag.


 
11. How many serving of fruit is in each cube?
I have no clue! LOL! I just kind of guess on this when it comes to putting it in myfitnesspal I normally put 3 to 4 cubes in my Shakeology.

I hope this answer most of your questions. Of course I use www.myfitnesspal.com or the App to keep up with how much of these foods I am eating. Please leave a comment below if you have more questions.

 

 


Make sure you check out and like my fitness page on facebook! www.facebook.com/TheGirlyEngineerGettingFit
 
Be Sure to Follow me on Instagram: @yashicab
If you would like to find out more about the Shakes that I drink or the workouts (Turbo Fire, Insanity, P90X and more) that I do, check out my beach body websites:

For just info on the shakes:
For info on the shakes and workouts combinations:
The Girly Engineer



 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment